- The right cleanser should leave skin feeling comfortable but not tight. I love gels and balms, which dissolve impurities without stripping the skin's natural oils. For dry or normal skin, I recommend Emma Hardie Amazing Face Natural Lift and Sculpt Moringa Cleansing Balm (2, £34, emmahardie.com), or an argan-oil-rich Elem Melting Cleasing Gel (£19.40, from timetospa.co.uk)
- If you have oily or combination skin, very astringent cleansers may be too harsh and result in your skin producing even more oil. Opt for a gentle wash-off cleanser, such as Trilogy Balancing Gel Cleanser (3, £22.50, from lovelula.com), followed by alcohol-free flower water such as Botanics Organic Face Rosewater Toner (5, £4.07, Boots stores nationwide, tel: 0845 070 8090).
- Sensitive types should try Elave Dermo Hydrating Cream Cleaser (£23.50, from echemist.co.uk), which is formulated for reactive skin.
- Cleansing wipes and waters are not thorough enough for every day, but provide a quick fix if you're in a hurry. Two favourites are Good Things Total Wipe Out Cleansing Wipes (£3.56, from Boots stores nationwide, tel: 0845 070 8090) and Decleor Aroma Cleanse Cleansing Water (4, £21.50, tel: 020 7313 8780), which is gentle enough for the eye area too.
A FRESH START
The new-style cleansers keep skin spotless without stripping away the good bits
MY CLEAN REGIME
- Cleanse thoroughly in the evening to clear away dirt and make-up, in the morning, a gentle massage with warm water and a flannel should be sufficient. Apply moisturiser while your skin is slightly damp.
- 'Double cleanse' every few days for a brightening boost. Massage cleanser over your face and neck, upwards and outwards. Remove with a warm, damp flannel, such as Liz Earle#s muslin cloths (1, £3.55 for two, uk.lizearle.com), which will also gently exfoliate. Repeat the whole process, this time rinsing the cloth in cool water to close pores.
- To freshen up a 'tired complexion', add a few drops of rose oil to warm water and rinse your muslin cloth in it. Place the cloth over your face and inhale the soothing scent - this will open pores (so when you follow with cleanser it works deeper) and relax you at the same time.
Email Jemma at email@example.com